Monday, April 19, 2010

After a long weekend...

...I came back to my blog to see that I have 14 followers! Yay!!!! I love you all :]

Okay so...it's Tuesday... so all of my fellow Gleeks know what that means! Not only is a brand new episode of Glee on tonight, but it's an episode centered around Madonna. My expectations can be explained in one simple word. Epic.

Alright, so on one of my last entries, I received a comment from the lovely Claire Curtis that stated how she loves that Glee is so diverse. I thank you Claire because that was actually going to be leading into one of my next topics!

Diversity. While Roncalli is not too racially diverse, the activities that everyone participates in can easily throw individuals into cliques--whether knowingly or unknowingly.

For instance: My freshman year of volleyball was unbelievably fun and enjoyable. My team gelled together so well that we formed a sisterhood of sorts. It was hard not to with all the hours spent together training. Everyone wants to be a part of something, and when they become included, it can be hard to let that go.

For athletes, it can be difficult to branch out to anything different--especially somewhat successful athletes who are afraid of failure like I was. It's that fear though that became my driving force to try something different. After I finished my volleyball career, I decided I enjoyed the fine arts sector of the school much more than the sweaty gym I had spent countless early mornings in. Fine arts, choir kids, musicians, artists seem to be more accepting-- but that doesn't mean there aren't drama or diva attitudes.

What I'm trying to convey is that for the most part, show choirs and other fine arts groups tend to be more accepting of all kinds of people. The Glee kids are made up of football players, cheerleaders, unsocial people, and goths. Glee club is a way to fit in when you feel like you're standing on the outside.

Well that's all for now!
Off to watch Glee kids perform Madonna songs :)
Love&music
-Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment